6.07.2011

Broccoli, Bacon and Cheese, OH MY!!

Recently I had lunch with one of my friends and the special soup of the day was cream of broccoli with bacon and gorgonzola cheese. Even though it was a warm day, we both thought it sounded great and it was! My mom has a broccoli soup she has been making for years and I knew I could easily add the additional ingredients.

Cream of Broccoli Soup with Bacon and Cheese

6 tbs. butter
1 c. chopped onions
3 tbs. flour
6 c. chicken broth
2 bunches of broccoli chopped and cooked
1 ½ c. half and half
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 strips bacon cooked till crisped, then chopped
½ c. gorgonzola cheese plus more for topping

Melt butter in large pan and sauté onions for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring to get out that raw flour taste. Add chicken broth and broccoli. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Puree in blender in batches, then return to pan. Stir in half and half, salt and pepper, bacon and cheese.

When serving, top with a few cheese crumbles and maybe a few bacon bits.

When another friend came over with her husband I served this soup as a first course instead of my usual appetizers. I served it in plain white coffee cups with the Barefoot Contessa’s cheese straws, which by the way are very soft and yummy. Enjoy!



No comments: