10.23.2009

The Burke Banana Bread

On Wednesday I promised to share my banana bread recipe with you - so here you go.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a large loaf pan with cooking spray or line it with foil.

Sift together in a large bowl:
2c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Add ½ c. sugar and 1c. chopped walnuts to the flour mixture.

In a separate bowl, mash 3 ripe bananas (I am talking the more rotten the better – this is one time when brown spots are a good thing). Add 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice, 1 slightly beaten egg, and ¼ c. vegetable oil. Mix well and add to the dry ingredients.

This is the difficult part since this is NOT a liquidy dough – getting all the dry ingredients incorporated takes patience but you can do it. I use a big spoon and keep mixing it all together. Spoon into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert on baking rack and let cool, if you can. I usually have a piece in my mouth within minutes!!

No comments: