9.23.2009

Becky's Best Breaded Chops

This is one of those delicious family recipes that I have been making for 35 years. I first enjoyed these chops as a newlywed visiting my in-laws in Appleton, Wisconsin. This is a special dish from my mother-in-law, Jeannine.

Ingredients:
6 center cut pork chops (not thin sliced), trimmed of any wide, nasty fat – I just take my scissors and cut it off
1 c. or more of plain breadcrumbs, I prefer Progresso
2-3 eggs
½ c. or more flour
½ c. chicken broth
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
Oil, I prefer canola

Here’s what you do:
Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Pour canola oil into a large frying pan so it covers the bottom and comes up on the sides about ¼ inch and turn on med to hi heat.

Take 3 pasta type, large deep bowls from your cupboard – in one pour the flour, one the crumbs and one the eggs. Beat the eggs slightly with a fork. Salt and pepper the chops.

The breading is simple - like breading chicken or mushrooms or whatever. Place a chop in the flour, covering it completely, shake off, dip it into the egg (be sure to turn so both sides are coated) and drop it in the crumbs. Pat the crumbs on both sides and all around the chop. Drop into the heated oil. I don’t use a thermometer or anything fancy. I know the oil is hot when I sprinkle a few droplets of water in it and it crackles – be careful, please.

Repeat until all chops are coated and in the pan. Even in a large pan you can usually only get 4-5 chops, so take your time. Let the chops cook on one side in the oil and when the bottom gets golden brown and a little crispy, flip them once. The goal is to get a pretty chop with cooked crumbs. We are not trying to cook the chops all the way through – that’s why we have the oven pre-heating. As each chop is finished browning, put into a 13x9 pan. If your frying pan is oven proof with a tight lid, it can be used in the oven, but you need to wipe out any excess oil after the chops are browned – so that’s why I just use a 13x9 type cake pan. Pour the chicken broth over the chops and cover tightly with foil. Place in the oven for 2 ½ -3 hours, removing the foil about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, so they absorb the moisture and the steam subsides.

*Becky Knows Everything: These are soooo good – warm, room temperature and even cold. Make sure you make an extra for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: