5.16.2010

A Lilac Festival Without Lilacs

Each year in mid-May in Rochester, something called The Lilac Festival is held. Mike and I never seemed to get there, but this year we decided we would do it. So, today we went! I am pretty sure it is famous because last year MARTHA STEWART herself attended.

Anyway, we took a shuttle bus from the local community college to Highland Park. Tons of people, lots and lots of arts and crafts vendors (mainly that jewelry you always see that the vendors never price which makes me crazy) and photos and every conceivable item you can think of painted with some type of lilac.

We had some unseasonably warm weather here two weeks ago and all the lilacs bloomed, so sadly, there weren’t any lilacs to see. But we did enjoy a Dixie Band on the main stage and Mike had a gigantic Italian sausage sandwich with peppers and onions and since it was a beautiful day, we had a lot of fun. When we got home, I went to my neighbor’s who has a late-blooming lilac bush and I took a photo for you.

When I was a little girl, the lilacs would bloom at the first of May. Right around May Crowning my mom would cut me a bouquet from the bush outside my bedroom window, wrap it in wet paper towels and foil and I would proudly bring them to school along with about 30 other kids in my class. Lilacs, along with forsythia and tulips and blooming magnolia trees always herald spring. I hope you have a spring in your step and that this spring makes you feel young and happy!

No comments: