4.04.2011

Wine is a Must at Book Club

Recently my sister Bonnie joined a book club looking to have some fun. Apparently it is a little bit too serious for her. Maybe she should join my daughter’s group in Boston. They make you take a shot if you don’t read the book. Now that sounds like a good time!

Bonnie writes:

The book club I joined at our local library will take anyone, and it was of course not the kind I have been dying to be invited to for years.......the "wine-swilling-don't really read the book-but just gossip with ladies kind". The librarian in charge actually expects us to read the books and be prepared to discuss. She evens emails us discussion questions to refer to. I just couldn’t get into our latest book, the highly acclaimed, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson. Only the third month and I was checking to see if the movie version was available! (I so fondly recall an episode of "Cheers" when Sam labored through reading War and Peace to impress Diane only to discover, "It's a MOVIE??!!) Back at home, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie version of the book I was supposed to read. It was days before the book club and my husband Paul kept making air quotes when we talked about "the book" and "the plot" and my anticipated participation in the discussion. I decided to return to the book and spent a good bit of time playing "open book test" with our discussion questions and passed last night with flying colors! I know, I know, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. But it kept me involved in book club such as it is. Oh look, June's choice will be Eat, Pray Love. Actually have read it already-SCORE!! And yes, the book is way better than the movie.

No comments: