4.10.2009

Jeannine's Ham and Cheesy Brunch Bake

I'm gearing up for Easter Brunch and thought I'd share my recipe for "Jeannine's Ham and Cheesy Brunch Bake". I thought this was a family recipe and I have been making it for 30 years, but I have learned a variation of it is in many cookbooks - so here you go anyway. It is wonderful.

3 c. cubed French bread (sometimes I use regular bread with the crusts removed so it is not so “bready”)
3 c. cubed ham (buy one or two of those nifty ham slices and cut into cubes)
8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. sliced mushrooms, sautéed
Small can of sliced black olives
3 tbs. flour
1 tbs. dry mustard
4 tbs. melted butter
5 beaten eggs
3 c. milk

Combine first 5 ingredients. Place 1/3 of the mixture into a 13x9 pan that has been sprayed with a “Pam” type product. Mix flour and mustard, and sprinkle 1/3 of this mixture over first layer. Drizzle 1/3 of the butter over top. Repeat with two more layers.

Beat eggs, milk, and add some salt and pepper. Pour over casserole and chill overnight (this is the good part - you can do it in advance). Take out of fridge about 2 hours before you will be serving. Bake at 350 for one hour.

*Becky Knows Everything: I serve this with fruit salad and sometimes blueberry muffins.

No comments: