7.13.2009

Mom's a Peach Cobbler

My Mom makes the best peach cobbler and it is sooo easy to make. The peaches are looking really good right now and last night I made a cobbler for Mike and me. In the winter, when I have a “cobbler craving” I use frozen blueberries and raspberries that I thaw first. A sprinkling of walnuts on top is delicious too!


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Peel 5 large peaches, split in half and remove pit. Now, this is a slimy job and I have tried doing it a bunch of different ways, but the bottom line is the peach is slippery when the peel is removed and you still need to get out the pit!

Slice the peeled peaches thinly (another rather slimy job) and place in large bowl.

Add the following ingredients to the peaches:
2/3 c. sugar
2 tbs. flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. grated nutmeg (the real nutmeg used with a zester is fab)
Mix all together. Spoon into a nice quiche or pie pan and dot with 3 tbs. of butter.

In separate bowl, mix together:
1 c. flour
2 tbs. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

Now add:
1/3 c. solid vegetable shortening like Crisco in the little blue can
1 egg
3 tbs. milk

When all is mixed, drop onto peach mixture in large tablespoons Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

I serve in bowls with a dollop of whipping cream, ice cream or even Cool Whip.

*Becky Knows Everything: Try really hard to let this cool at least 15 minutes or the inside of your mouth won’t be feeling too peachy or happy!

No comments: